Sunday, October 2, 2011

The birth of an Aesthetic Monk

I am really going to have to start to update this more if it is going to be of any use to me.  My main purpose, of course, is to document my own progress; but I am doing this in a blog format to share with anyone who might so be interested in my journey and my ponderings on art, spirituality, creativity, the nature of existence, and anything else which might tickle my fancy.  At this point, it is all Art to me.

So last I checked in, I had just gotten back from the Alex Grey retreat, and was getting ready to kick ass, which I think I am starting to.  I have at the very least stripped my life of many superfluities so I can get down to the serious work which is required of me if I am ever going to make any kind of progress in art at all.  Granted, it is very convenient that I want this more than just about anything else, and it seems I am quite happy to sacrifice just about anything to my God, Art.

I have just about completed my work space.  When I got back and set myself to making changes in my life, one of these was a work space; essentially, I needed and altar to my new God.  As they say, if you build they will come.  The God will only descend into a proper vessel.  I keep my space clean and organized, all around, so that I can be focused.  Cleanliness is like the oil that lubricates the machinery of devotion.

So this is what I have ended up with for my new work area:


As can be seen, I have covered many bases.  I still need a new lamp that can get much brighter, ideally one of those great natural light that also has a big magnifying glass on it.  These are great for details, which I will eventually get into with my sculpture.  

The largest expense for this whole thing was the monitor arm (I already had the computer).  However, this expense has been infinitely valuable.  I wanted the space to serve as both a traditional art space, as well as a digital one.  Computer monitors tend to become the focus of a desk because they cant be moved.  However, I can move the monitor off to the side, clearing up the full 3 ft depth that my desk has.  I can also play art instructional videos, and make copies from pictures online (and vice versa, I can set it up so I can do digital still life painting.)

The drawing board I found at a garage sale, so if I am not drawing, I can stow it away and clear the space for something else.  I also purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse, again clearing up space.  Wires become a very large nuisance to work flow as they limited and clutter.  I had to try out a few different keyboard to find a good one.  This was not something to skimp on.  I ended up returning the cheaper one for a better more stable one.

Another very helpful little feature I found was the book stand, on the left.  I have taken myself to copying from books, most especially Bridgeman currently.  I will do a post soon about the benefits of this exercise, at least as I have experienced so far.  With this stand, the book stays open to the drawing i am working on, and it serves as a constant reminder to do more.  It also makes the copying process very comfortable.  No bending over.  If we are spending hours at our work, we want to be as comfortable as we can be.

I added the shelf on the wall more recently so I can have immediate access to books.  I have a book case 10 feet behind me, but I don;t want to have to keep getting up.  It may sound silly, but when you are immersed in some research or study, you want to be able to access the required information as easily as possible to maintain the flow of thought.

The only thing my set-up is missing is a good tablet.  I have a Wacom bamboo, but it really can't do what I want it to, which is give me the power to sketch on a computer the same way I do in a book.  I have been looking at different models, and it seems that the Wacom4 Medium is a standard.  It is a steep though- about $300.  The benefits are huge though.  Even the small tablet I have totally changes how I interact with my computer, and having a bigger and better one would really make the learning process a lot easier.

I am also in love with a new peice of technology, Tablet PC's.  These are full on computer tablets with all the processing power of a laptop.  An iPad, compared to one of these, is a toy.  They are fast enough now to run Photoshop, painter, zbrush, maya, and other graphics heavy programs.  You can carry them around with you and sketch on the go, or even do full tilt digital plein air.  I am a technophile, and so these things are making me drool.  The possibilities are huge.

One trap I am not letting myself fall into in all this is thinking that technology will make me a better artist.  Sure, I can use Photoshop to generate perfect ellipses, but the knowledge gained from being able to render it by hand and see it is vital.  To really push digital into new boundaries, we need to master traditional techniques, then we will see where the boundary is between a computer simulating traditional tools and thinking, and a computer as a whole new medium in its own right.

All of this is really to say that I am taking a deep breath, and diving in.  I have this present moment to make art, and I am going to take it and go.  I am locking myself in my room most of the time, and will be working as hard as I can.  I feel like I have so much ground to cover to get a good foundation, and not a lot of time to do it.

This is certainly a scary prospect, in a way.  I am going to watch the world pass me by.  Things in the world are crazier than ever, and here I am stabilizing my life as much as I can so that I can master my art.  I am cutting as many ties to the outside world as possible so I can crawl into this head of mine, train it, and exercise it.  That is the only way to get as good as I want, and need, to get.

This is one big factor in my journey here.  Yes, I love what I do.  I love art, I love learning all of it; but what is even more is that I NEED to.  It is either master drawing, or go get a normal job, and i refuse.  There is nothing I would rather do for a living than make art, and play with culture.  That is my ultimate goal- art is the medium by which this Will in my can take form.

So I work to put food on my table, eventually.  I work so I can support the family I want to have one day.  I work so that I can help to heal beings, and shift this world to a better place for all.  All of this requires sacrifice.  You have to show the creative spirit that you want it, and that you mean business.  That means giving up most parties, telling friends you are busy, and getting the rest of your life to a point where it requires the minimal amount of your attention.

There will be much more I will be talking about in the coming weeks.  I have found some communities I am settling in to, a plethora of online resources, some great books.  I am starting a phenomenology class for school, and I fully intend on trying to track down the phenomenological status of art objects, and the creative process in general.  Not to mention my sculpture, which I am still working on since the Alex Grey retreat.  Anatomy!

So expect more soon.  I could keep on writing, but I have to stop somewhere.  This journey is really just beginning now.  I am becoming an Aesthetic Monk, dedicated to my God Art.  I took a few timid paces towards this almost a year ago.  I shaved my head then, and I shaved it again only a few days ago. And I will keep it shaved until I have laid my foundation, both in Art, and in Vajrayana.

So stay tuned for more commentary, philosophical ramblings, artistic progress, and general musings on the muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment